Saturday, February 2, 2013

How to Become a Runner and How to Run Faster



How many of you believe that in order to be a runner you must run a marathon???

This is my BIGGEST pet-peeves that people perceive about runners.

I have been running for 7 years and have yet to complete a marathon... Why?
I DON'T WANT TO!

Marathons are hard on your body, require A LOT of time to train, and are made for certain fitness types.

I enjoy running with a mix endurance and speed.  I like races where I can be competitive and win (try to ).. That is why I am strictly a 10k race runner, not to mention I get horrendous runners stomach when I go past 9 miles.

My point is, you DO NOT need to run a marathon to be considered a "runner", you don't need to run a half or even a 10k.  Find the distance that speaks to you.  If you love endurance only- run marathons.  If you love speed only- run 5k's. If you're mixed try a 10k or a half.

Me and Cam @ Whiskey Row


Moving on, how many of you would like to learn to be faster? I would.

I am taking an amazing class this semester called exercise physiology.  We've been discussing how to become a faster runner and the types of training to do.

Way 1:
I will explain it as simply as I can.  For those of you who run at all, you typically run just below your lactate threshold.  Lactate threshold is the point when your blood becomes full of lactate, meaning you hit that point when your body starts to slow down and can't perform anymore.  In order to run quickly we have to stress this lactate threshold.

For example: I can run a 10k with an average of 8:15 miles.  In order to get faster I have to stress my lactate threshold so I can run at a higher intensity without getting as tired as I would normally.

How do you do this? Take your best race time for the event you plan on doing (or if you've never ran in a race go out and run your race distance as fast as you can).  Figure out how fast you run 400 m and 800 m at this optimal race pace.  (i.e. if I run 8:15 minute miles my 400m= 2:03, 800m= 4:07)

Next you will need to take off 5 seconds from you 400m time or 8-10 seconds off your 800m time depending on which distance you prefer.

Then you will want to run  400ms or  800ms at that pace until you reach the mileage of your event.


This is how I would do this for myself and running a 10k
Running 400m's:
I would need to run 24 400m's at 1:58 seconds each.

Running 800m's:
I would need to run 12 800m's at 3:57

Doing this 1-2 times a week is a great way to begin to increase your lactate threshold.


 Way 2:

Set up cones, or use a basketball court lines that are about 20m apart.

Run from one cone or line and then back in 10 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds and keep going until you can no longer.

Once you miss getting there and back in 10 seconds, sit out until you feel ready to come back and do it again.

Try for 15-20 rounds.


More tips check out this Runner's World Article.

No comments:

Post a Comment